Final Friday | February 27
5:30 – 8 p.m.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the animal kingdom with animal poems and theater performances from The Independent School.
The Independent School’s Visual Arts students grades 10 – 12
Encounter animal pieces inspired by the national traveling exhibit Wildlife Rescue.
Bridging Art and Science is a linear exhibit space located on Exploration Place’s indoor bridge, and features local artist pieces that illustrate the intermingling of art and science. In collaboration with Arts Partners.
Hailey Hatcher and Josh Tripoli with Arts Partners will also be on hand with activities for the whole family. Shake your tail like a rattlesnake to make music of the desert and create your own imaginary animal.
Students were asked to create meaningful wildlife art that focused on animals in their natural habitat or as a partner of society, interacting with the wild. The animal art display will serve as a visual pathway – a bridge – leading to Wildlife Rescue, an exhibit that focuses on endangered animals, the rehabilitation of animals and the people who help them.
Many of the student artists have won statewide and national acclaim for their art, with six of them recently honored by national Scholastic Arts Program.
- Mary McCoy, 11th Grade
McCoy will presentfive original pastel drawings: “Deliberation of Rule” - Conte Chalk Pastel, “Night Bass” - Conte Chalk Pastel, “Solace at the Gate” - Acrylic Painting, and “Native Bison” - Conte Chalk Pastel.
- Morgan Musgrave, 12th Grade Musgrave will present three original works of art: “Octopus” - Acrylic Painting, “Owl Baby” - Oil Pastels, “Happy Dog” - Oil Pastels, and “Green Bird” - Acrylic Painting.
- Dani Medrano, 12th Grade Medrano will present an original design art glass piece, “Animal Kingdom.” The glass piece won a Scholastic Award last year and is an original pattern.
- Huy Tran, 11th Grade Tran will present three scratchboard artworks - “The Flight,” “Regal Vision” and “Silver Bird.”
- Emme Goodin, 11th Grade Goodin will present two original acrylic paintings - “Pheasant Hunt” and “Dog Tired.”
- Nicole St. Clair, 11th Grade St. Clairwill present two original artworks - “The King” - Charcoal and Pencil Drawing, and “Friends” - Colored Pencil Drawing.
- Rose Palmer, 10th Grade Palmer will present the original artwork: “Some Pig” - Mixed Media Drawing.
- Abbey Daley, 11th Grade Daley will present the original artwork: “Terracotta Starfish Sculpture” - Hand-built Ceramic Art.
- Benjamin Cartwright, 12th Grade Cartwright will present his original hand-thrown Flint Hills clay birdhouses.
Click here for student bios.
Included with general museum admission. Free for members.